Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What To Do When Your Powerpoint Presentation Won't Present!

Today I was stretched as a speaker. Stretching sounds unpleasant in this context but it wasn't. Stretching creates flexibility and strength--it's good for a body!

I donated the day to speak in the library at the school my children attend. I lost count of how many classes came in. The librarian told me I spoke to about 250 kids. I talked about writing novels and being an author.

Our librarian welcomed me with the red carpet! She decorated with balloons, rearranged the tables, provided water and drinking cups, set up a projector and laptop, showcased my book on a display stand, handed me a schedule, took my coat and made copies of my handout. I was the princess today. Thank you, Gail!

I spoke from 8:45am to 1:45pm. I had an hour break at noon for lunch. Gail told me at the end of the day that about 250 kids came through the library--mostly 4th and 5th graders. The students were more than a little interested in writing! The questions were thoughtful and the kids were enthusiastic. Each new group of kids gave me energy. Each class left with hands still in the air. It was amazing.

As a speaker, I was put to the test. My technology was not compatible with the school's technology. Gail refused to give up. I went ahead and spoke to the first three classes without my Powerpoint Presentation. It was no problem! I rolled with it and the kids didn't care. In fact, it was easier for me to flow with the interest of the kids without my slides. Gail went through three laptops and two projectors before she found a winning combination! Go Gail!

I learned a valuable lesson--don't count on technology! Even my back-up plan (Google Docs) failed. I have spoken enough times that I was able to wing it. Experience is a beautiful thing. Each class, each student, teaches me something new. Today, circumstances taught me to be ready for anything. There is always the chance of a technology meltdown or a power outage at any school. 

Today's mishaps were a blessing. Gail pointed this out to me. I gave six or seven talks today--some with slides, some with partial slides and some with no slides. I ran out of time twice and I had extra time once. I learned that the key is to keep smiling and pretend it's all planned!

When I left, two fifth grade girls approached me and proudly announced they had started their first novels. No matter what happens in my adult world, I can never forget the forgiving heart of a child. They don't care about slides. They care about time. When we adults stop everything we're doing and focus on them--it shows we believe in them. They are the future authors and I can't wait to read their books!

To Do: Drop everything and encourage someone else to follow in your footsteps! Don't worry about the delivery--your time speaks louder than any multimedia presentation!    

Jennifer Lynn Alvarez
author of The Pet Washer
a novel for girls aged 9-12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.