Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"My Next Big Thing" Authors Share Their W.I.P.'s

I want to thank Ngaire Elder for inviting me to participate in "My Next Big Thing"--a fun way to introduce new projects and promote fellow authors at the same time! Ngaire Elder is the author of the Cecilia Sparks Adventure Series. Click HERE to read more about her and her books!

These are the questions I, Jennifer Lynn Alvarez, have been asked to answer regarding my W.I.P. (Work In Progress):

What is the working title of your book?
The Winged Herds of Anok

Where did the idea come from for the book?
 I was driving down the freeway and I saw a pregnant white horse flying in front of my car--the vision of her was VIVID. She was carrying a very special black foal in her belly and I had to tell their story. By the time I got home, I had the entire plot and I began writing immediately. Where did she come from? She was a gift.

What genre does your book fall under?
Middle-grade childrens book (ages 9 and up!) It has a lot of the intensity and adventure of YA, but none of the romance.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
20 days, 55,000 words. This book wrote me!

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Watership Down and Warriors

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
My eleven-year old daughter. She read each chapter each day and critiqued me. She pushed me to places I've never gone in a childrens book--she demanded battles, good deaths, a large cast of characters, violence, fearlessness, a relentless plot, a story that ripped out her heart, and simply everything had to be at stake! It became my goal to write scenes that made her cry (because she NEVER cries)--I'm proud to report she cried three times!

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
If you think pegasi are pretty and pink and everything sweet--wait until you meet the pegasi of Anok!

The Following are a few writers I've asked to participate in "My Next Big Thing" in return. You can check them out at their websites:

Shaylene King  http://www.shayleneking.com/
Dominick Cura  http://eternallyglutenfree.com/
D.M. Andrews  http://www.writers-and-publishers.com/

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, your WIP is fantastic ... love horses and Pegasi of Anok sounds amazing ... sinister! looking forward to reading the Winged Herds of Anok :) n x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will keep you posted on it's publication dates etc. Jennifer

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.