Friday, January 20, 2012

Listing Your Website on Technorati

Today I "claimed" my blog on Technorati. Technorati is a search engine for blogs. It is (or was) the leading blog directory on the net. The reason I did this is because I noticed that my Jennifer Diaries blog gets consistent traffic and I haven't published new content on that site in awhile. Puzzling.

I thought to myself, what's the difference between The Jennifer Diaries and The Jennifer (Recession) Diaries and this blog? This blog is updated daily but it's new. The Jennifer (Recession) Diaries is updated a few times a month but it's been around since 2009. The Jennifer Diaries has been around since 2009 but I haven't updated it since June 2011. However, it gets the most traffic. The only difference on my end is that I claimed The Jennifer Diaries on Technorati and I didn't do that for the other two.

Of course, signing up couldn't be easy for me. Every time I sit down to do something I think will be simple--I end up with brain pain. I had to register my blog URL and my Feed URL--you mean there's a difference? Yes. I had forgotten. After frustrating error messages, I finally figured it out. Real webheads have to be laughing at me because, even though I don't get it, this stuff is Blogging 101 to them. URL's are amateur hour. (URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator.)

Having said that, I will pat myself on the back. It's amazing to me that I can publish books, format publications and covers, publish blogs and create websites with no technical, computer or web training under my belt. I wasn't raised with this stuff! Yesterday I struggled to operate my son's PS3 controller. I constantly feel dumb but I get it done. How? I never give up!

I research everything. I watch educational Youtube videos, I read how to websites, I visit forums, and I keep trying until I succeed. The web is information! It's words and pictures, that's it, but it's changed my life. Not only can I learn how to manipulate HTML, I can learn how to sift dry ingredients as well (yes, my cooking skills equal my web skills.)

The good news--I now know the difference between the two URL's (although I doubt I could explain the difference to you.)

The bad news--Technorati is backlogged and they have warned me that I may have to wait a very long time for my blog to get listed.They asked me to place the following code in a published blog post  XKKHG8EGWSF6. This is to verify that I am the author of this blog. Once I publish this post today, I will go back to the Technorati site and verify my claim token. Then my claim will head into the final review phase. I will probably be asked to Ping my blog too--and I'm already stressing over that. I've Ping'd before but it's been awhile. I tend to forget and have to re-learn this stuff. 

But I'm on my way and I'm curious as to what "a very long time" is in the web world. It takes me nine months to create a human being. Time is relative.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jennifer. Your post encouraged me to claim my blog. Great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I hope you see increased traffic!! I checked out your blog. You are a good writer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.