Monday, January 28, 2013

How Long Does It Take To Write A Book?

Some novels are written in days or weeks, some take years. Why?

Many factors affect book writing:
Time: The majority of authors have day jobs
Experience: Is it the author's first book or 6th?
Motivation: How hungry is the author?
Subject Matter: Is the topic timely or timeless?
Prolificity: Is the author planning one book or a career?
Life: Unexpected deterring events

One of the primary reasons for a book to take years to write is research. Historical fiction, biographies, self-help, and memoirs, often involve years of research.

Stakes are high in non-fiction. The facts can, and will, be checked. There are other experts on the subject who may criticize a hastily written book. In a biography, the subject is or was a living person, an author must proceed with great caution and accuracy.

Fiction writers have more generous poetic license and we wield it with great pleasure. We have to worry about consistency and fact-checking, but usually not at the level of non-fiction. 

The second key factor in the time it takes to write a book is the author's "creative process". Writers differ widely on how they attack their novels. Some outline, some don't. Some edit each chapter as they write, some wait until they're finished. Some write when the mood strikes, some write every day.

I believe in writing a fast first draft. I sit at my computer at least five days a week and, as I type, the story unfolds in my head like a movie. I record what I see. Twice now I've written a novel in under 30 days, but keep in mind these are first drafts! I spend months in the editing process.

"You might not write well every day, but you can edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page."--Jodi Piccoult

A lot of people tell me they want to write a book someday. Writing a novel is like beginning a new exercise regime--there is no good time to start. You will always be too busy. If you want to be an author, you have to carve out the time before you have any success or earn a dime at it. I wrote four novels before the fifth one caught the eye of a publisher. Start today!

There is growing evidence to debunk the myth that writing a novel requires years of drafts, gallons of alcohol, and an entourage of personal demons. Writing should be fun! I'm a fan of the highly popular NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing Month. It's held each November and the object is to write a book in 30 days. You can't judge yourself or even stop to breathe when writing at this pace. It's a healthy exercise in endurance and creativity whether it produces a marketable novel or not.

Did you know that the more you use your creativity, the more of it you'll have? It's a source that cannot be exhausted once tapped. If you don't feel creative, it's probably because you're not creating. But don't wait for NaNoWriMo to get started. Any month is a good month to write a book!

Sometimes novels take years to write because the author is waiting for inspiration. Don't fall for this trap either. Inspiration can't be tamed, but it can be trained. I show up at my keyboard each morning and inspiration is there waiting for ME. We have an appointment so to speak. Try to set regular hours and stick to them. I am usually writing a new novel and editing a finished novel at the same time. In between, I write blog posts. There is no shortage of things to write about!

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."--Jack London

When is a book done? Some writers say it's done when the first draft is complete. Some writers say it's done after the editing phase. The truth is it's done when it's ready for publication. However, many writers celebrate the end of a first draft, and it's not uncommon for us to declare, "I finished my book!!"

But really it's time to edit and revise. I edit my manuscripts several times over. Once I'm down to tweaking minor adjectives, I know I've reached the end of my insights. Now the book is ready for a professional editor to take a look.

Professional editors find issues and mistakes that I'm too close to the manuscript to see. They humble me and make me feel silly for thinking my manuscript was finished in the first place. This is why I respect them so much! They are the advocate for the reader. They point out ways to narrow the lens, sharpen the story, and clarify the plot. A good editor only improves a manuscript.

After I implement the editor's changes and go through a final proofread--the manuscript is ready for publication.

So in answer to the question--how long does it take to write a book? The answer is--that is up to the author.

**You might enjoy this article about writing versus storytelling: The Quote That Set Me Free As A Writer

What's your writing process? Are you an Outliner or a Pantster? 


by Jennifer Lynn Alvarez
Author of The Guardian Herd series


Book #1


Book #2, 04/21/15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.