Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Four Steps to Transform Yourself from Unpaid Writer to Successful Author

Last year I made the decision to schedule writing hours for myself and it changed my life.

I am the stay-at-home mother of three school-age children who are busy. They attend public school, play sports, and are involved in organizations such as travel soccer, 4H, our church, and the National Pony Club.

Each organization relies on volunteer and fundraising support. I jumped in to help, but once I got involved, I watched in dismay as my free time vanished. My fantasy was to write novels once my youngest child started school. Instead I was immersed in volunteering and my writing came last, at the end of the day when there was nothing left of me.

Most of us are bombarded by the needs of others. Can you relate? It's important to help, but I wasn't living in balance. I gave away all my free hours and with them, my dreams.   

Last year I changed my thinking. I realized no one would respect my writing time if I didn't respect it first. I reduced my volunteer commitments and made a public declaration that I would be writing each day and not answering my phone. I felt silly setting hours for my "hobby", but it was an important first step. It announced to the world that I took my writing seriously.

The next step was to adhere to the hours. This was a struggle--not because I found it difficult to write--but because I felt guilty and selfish saying no even though I had not quit volunteering altogether. People were used to seeing me at school everyday and I received comments like, "Where have you been? Don't you volunteer anymore?" I felt judged for taking a step back. It was tough, but it got better with time. People became used to my new schedule, and more importantly, I became used to my new schedule. 

The key to making this transition work was committing to my new hours as though I was getting paid for them. Once I set hard writing boundaries and stuck to them, the people in my life fell in line behind me and began to believe in me too. 

The third step was to seek readers. Fiction writing is a transaction that is not complete until it is received by a reader. I decided to try my hand at self-publishing. The experience of writing for readers was new, exciting, and deeply satisfying. It challenged me and improved my storytelling. It also showed me that readers are the primary catalyst for any author's success. Whether self-published or traditionally published, a writer must develop a readership to survive.  

The last step was to receive, cultivate, and enjoy my success. Since I set firm writing hours, I developed this blog, started making connections in book publishing, launched a modest paid speaking career, wrote three more novels to completion, and signed with a literary agent. None of this would have happened if I had not made the conscious choice to believe in myself, to take immediate action, and to stick to my guns in spite of life's real and imagined pressures.   

Today I want to encourage all unpaid writers to commit to a professional writing career. Carve out a slot of time five days a week and respect it as though you are paid to do it. Then, and maybe sooner than you think, you will be!

Action Steps

1) Believe--only you can make your dream come true.
2) Act--set writing hours and keep them.
3) Seek--readers and pursue publication.
4) Receive--inspiration and success.



by Jennifer Lynn Alvarez

**Update--my agent sold the first four books in my Guardian Herd series to HarperCollins Children's Books. Book one, STARFIRE, releases 09/23/14.

8 comments:

  1. I had to give up TV time to write on schedule, but it was soooo worth it. Now I just record a couple shows, and they still take a back seat to my writing and other duties. It's more fulfilling going after a dream.

    Your post also makes me think of all the endless "good" things we can do with our time, but we need to remember to schedule what's "best."

    Once again, I enjoy your posts, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always for reading and commenting Molly! We are in the same boat regarding writing and having kids. It's a lot to juggle, but like you said, it's fulfilling to go after the dream. Also, my daughter is inspired by what I do. She's on chapter 6 of one book and she started another book last night. She's eleven! We chat all the time about prologues, punctuating dialogue, naming characters, story lines etc. Sharing this with her brings me so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I'm so happy for you! Your blog has been a source of encouragement, enlightenment, and motivation for me in my own writing pursuits. Thank you for the support you gave to me when I first contacted you after finding your blog. I wish you continued success, and will continue to look to you for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words Amy! Feel free to contact me anytime with questions or comments or updates on what you're writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear about your continued success and so thrilled you are willing to share it with us. The writing journey is full of potholes, side roads, U-turns, and dead ends. Reading about your challenges and successes reminds me that one does not need a GPS to find one's career path. Fresh insight from someone who has not been jaded by 20 years of struggle is refreshing. I hope the new year blesses you even more just as you continue to bless readers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, thank you for the warm fuzzies!! I'm also wishing you many blessings for the new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer,
    Wonderful, practical, and motivating words of wisdom. You sum up the steps to writing success in a concise little package. Following your simple advice, one-day-at-a-time, surely will result in a snowballing of author success. Thank you. And Happy New Year filled with added fame and prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carmen, thanks for reading! I wish you a Happy New Year also :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.