Monday, February 13, 2012

Kid Lit Reviews

Today I submitted my book, The Pet Washer, for review at Kid Lit Reviews. This is the eighth website I've submitted to in two months. Most sites, including this one, take reviews in the order they are received. A few weeks to a few months is an expected wait time. I'm still waiting on ALL of them! (Kindle Book Reviews, The LL Book Review, Odyssey Book Review, The Kindle Nation, The Childrens Book Review, Janette Fuller.Com, and POD People).

Kid Lit Reviews is a site for childrens books. They also host a site for teen and tween books called just that, TWeen and TEen Books. Middle-grade novels can be submitted to Kid Lit Review but, at the site's discretion, they may end up featured on the Teen site.

The submission policies are simple. They have a contact form on their site. They let authors know the details they want included in their request. There is no charge for the reviews. They will consider reviewing ebook formats but they prefer paperbacks. Once the review is completed, the paperback is not returned. It is donated to their local library. This is also a common practice.

When the review is posted, the book title is linked through their Amazon Associates program. This allows the book to be purchased directly from their site. At no cost to the author, a small commission is generated by Amazon for Kid Lit Reviews to help fund the site. I believe this is a fair trade and I appreciate the site being up front about it. Again, it costs the author nothing.

Some review sites won't post negative reviews. If they don't like your book, they will spare you the pain of public humiliation and you won't get a review at all. One must be brave to submit to Kid Lit Review because they post negative and positive reviews. They have a five star system with five being the best.

I read a few of the posted reviews and I was impressed. They are thorough and well-written. I read some negative reviews and was equally impressed. The reviewers backed up their decisions with details. As an author, I feel I can trust this site to produce a fair review of The Pet Washer.

As a reader, I feel I can trust this site to find new books for my own kids to read! If you have a book for children or teens, consider submitting them to Kid Lit Reviews or TWeen and TEen Books for a comprehensive and fair review!

Kid Lit Reviews ended up accepting my book for review--please click HERE to read it!

Jennifer Alvarez
Author of The Pet Washer
Novel for girls aged 9-12

7 comments:

  1. Wow! A review of a reviewer. What an interesting idea. I have never been reviewed before. It sure is different being on the receiving end.

    "One must be brave to submit . . ." I thought I would fall over, then I read on and was actually impressed with your reasoning. This is a good review. Thank you.

    I hope you do not mind. I plan to link to this page after your review. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne!

      I am honored that you appreciated my "review" of your site. I don't mind if you link to this article.

      It's great to get your feedback!

      Jennifer

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My above comment beginning with "Hi Suzanne"--posted twice. I had sent it then my computer froze, so I restarted it and sent the comment again and left a duplicate comment. So I deleted it.

      Next time I will not delete it because it looks like I wrote something and then changed my mind! I don't like the ominous tone..."This comment has been removed by the author." It also looks like I might have deleted one of my reader's comments and I would never do that unless it was bad language!

      Live and learn...

      Delete
  3. Jennifer,
    I am doing a challenge called A to and I need a post for the letter E. I have not been sent a usable book for that letter so I thought I would do something about Evaluations, which is what a review is, and use this post in whole (with attribution).

    Then when the letter P day comes around I will do The Pet Washer, which I kinda, sorta, liked, but can't really say how much, or little, or more I liked it, because that would be a spoiler, and I hate spoilers. I will say you won't be disappointed, you will get a review, maybe a surprise or two, but probably no run on sentences like these.

    Think about this, though, so you don't get a belly ache, if I was going to SLAM! your book, which I am not saying I am or am not, just that I do not want you to get sick about it, so don't worry, I probably would not be joking around and using poor everything in this little paragraph if I were going to hate your book.

    There are words I think of when I think of your book: how dare she scare people by saying they should beware? and I think about the actual book too, trying to keep the beware out of my head so the review is fair. Then words like cute, likable characters, distinctive voices, um . . . wait, I need to write those words down so I don't forget.

    Got them. Okay, I hope you do not mind about your post. I think it is hilarious that a reviewer got reviewed. It may not be unusual still I love that you did this. Luckily, I had already finished your book before I accidentally found this.

    All kidding aside I liked your book, can't think off hand if there was anything negative (I won't tell you if I could, but I can't think of any at the moment). For a first book . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as though I have walked through the looking glass! I kinda, sorta got all that!

    I am honored you would like to re-publish the above post on your blog with attribution! I will wait patiently for P day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.