Monday, February 6, 2012

Google Books

I submitted The Pet Washer to Google Books eStore today. I'm already at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Diesel and Sony--why not Google Books?

Honestly, Google's program is confusing. My listing shows the book is 292 pages and that is not correct. I'm working out the bugs, but I trust Google so I took the leap. What is clear to me is that I can end the relationship at any time. I get paid for sales and it costs me nothing. I can't argue with any of that.

I did it to increase my web presence. I want The Pet Washer to be everywhere. I may not make a lot of sales at Barnes and Noble, but I like knowing that Nook owners can access my book. I like showing up in web searches. I like choices--for me and for my readers.

Amazon has made some moves to corner the market on authors and eBooks with their KDP Select program. The upside: the more authors who pull their books from major eStores, the less competition I'll have by staying there. The downside: kindles are overloaded with free books which reduces demand.

I'm in this for the long haul. I have two more books coming out this year. I want to make 1000 "sales" because readers like my work, not because it's free. Some authors love the KDP Select program but the criticism is heavy and increasing. Free books appear to do more for kindle and prime membership sales than they do for author sales. This is what I read. 

In addition, I'm resistant to limiting my audience to kindle owners only. No one every conquered the world by staying home!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.