Saturday, November 14, 2015

Interview with Teen Guardian Herd Fan Artist, Reannon Wimert

Today I'm thrilled to introduce high school student and Guardian Herd Fan Artist, Reannon Wimert. Please enjoy this interview and her stunning renderings of the pegasi from the Guardian Herd book series. Reannon also offers commissions, details below.

Reannon Wimert

Hazelwind by Reannon Wimert


Shadepebble by Reannon Wimert
Jennifer: Thanks for chatting with me today, Reannon. You first wrote me in July of 2015 and showed me some of your amazing Guardian Herd artwork. You have a unique style, and I love how you’ve imagined the characters, putting your own artistic spin on them. How old were you when you started drawing pictures?

Reannon: My first real memory of drawing was when I was two years old and not surprisingly I started with horses. My mother was my influence for horse related anything when I was young, and my art took a jump for the better when I was 6 and started riding horses.

Jennifer:
What is it about the Guardian Herd series that inspired you to draw the characters?

Reannon: I always thought how great it would be if someone were to write a series like the Warriors only with horses. So when I saw it in the book store I immediately brought it home, and when I discovered there were descriptions of each Pegasus in there, it sparked my creativity and I began to sketch some of them. It's ultimately that that inspired me to draw them.

Jennifer: Do you have a favorite pegasus? If so, who is it and why is he or she your favorite?

Reannon: A favorite Pegasus hm? I would have to say that my favorite is Morningleaf, everything about her is beautiful and I love her relationship with star. They're both beautiful on the inside and out. Not to mention them as a pair makes me happy to think about and I'm sure I'm not alone!

Sketch of Star and Morningleaf by Reannon Wimert

Star and Morningleaf by Reannon Wimert
Jennifer: As I mentioned, your art is unique and stylistic. Have you taken any art lessons, or are you self-taught?

Reannon: I am self taught actually. Of course I had the standard art classes growing up but I never really took a class on how to draw. So it's been just me. It took me a while to establish a style for myself, but I finally found one that fits.

Jennifer: You mentioned to me that you digitally color in your art. Can you tell readers which software program you use, and can you give kids any tips on making digital art?

Reannon: I use a program called manga studio 5 however photoshop cs6 is my favorite by far as I've used it a few times when with another artist friend of mine. Digital art is done in layers. For example when you draw out your lines, you can put that on the top layer and then put your colors on the layers below. Layers are a huge help and remember, whatever is below the layer above it goes underneath whatever is on that layer. Also, a drawing tablet is a must. Without it, digital art is much much harder than it truly is.

Grasswing by Reannon Wimert
Jennifer: How about tips on drawing horses/pegasi?

Reannon: Horses have long legs and sloping backs, one thing that has helped me is studying horse anatomy. And what a horse looks like in general. How they move too, I've been riding them for so long I kind of used that as reference. Reference photos are always handy but you should try to avoid tracing. It's better for your skill if you simply try your best, you'll see progress I promise!

Jennifer: You mentioned that your family is also artistic and makes a living in art? Can you tell us more about this? What sort of art do they make? Where is their store or gallery located?

Reannon: I am actually the only artist in my family besides my beloved uncle that died years ago. My mother used to do wood burning around my age but she never continued it and lost passion. So none of my family is in the arts unfortunately, though I do wish I could say otherwise! But I think that's in a way it's own message, you don't need to have family that's talented at art or horse back riding to do it yourself. I'm the only horse back rider in my family as well, so there really isn't a family limit on what you can be skilled in.

Rockwing by Reannon Wimert
Jennifer: How about you, Reannon? Would you like to make a living as an artist when you grow up? If so, in what capacity do you see yourself working: illustration, graphic design, marketing, animation, fine art, or something else?
Thundersky by Reannon Wimert

Sweetroot by Reannon Wimert
Reannon: I want to be a video game designer as well as sell my own commissions for a living. But I am going to train to be an equestrian Olympian hopefully in the next few years. Either way, horses will remain a permanent part of my life. 

Jennifer: It’s been great learning about your artwork today, Reannon. I wish you the best of luck with your future wherever it might take you!

Crystalfeather and her twin foals: Bumblewind and Echofrost
Reannon Wimert lives in Maine and is a 16 year old high school student just turning into her junior year. She loves art, horses, and riding among other things! She's been drawing since she was 2 and began to read at the age of 1. She's been riding horses for 10 years and is to this day. Her favorite horse related creature is the alicorn, a unicorn and Pegasus mix. She also has a DA which is a artist website known as Deviantart. 

She does commissions! For those that do not know, a commission is when you pay an artist a certain amount to have them draw anything your heart desires for you! If you would like to commission guardian herd artwork or any other artwork from her, you can email her at: reannonwimert@gmail.com Or even send her a note on DA: skylarbrant14 (artist name) and she will be happy to hear about what you want drawn and offer a price.
Reannon Riding

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.