Saturday, July 21, 2012

"Name My Fish" Contest!

Today is a red-letter day--it's my Birthday! But that's not what makes it great--that just makes me older--it's everything else about today that is great!

I got my hair done (after 5 long months)

Finally!
$8.95
 And I got a pet fish to keep me company while I write! He now lives on my desk, he's a Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta), and I adore him!

Isn't he purty?

So I've decided to celebrate my birthday with my real and virtual friends with a Naming Contest! My new little writing pet needs a name!


How to Enter and What You'll Win
  •  Please comment on this blog with your name ideas--but you can also leave names on Facebook or Twitter.
  • The grand prize winner will receive a $10 Amazon gift card, a paperback copy of The Pet Washer, plus eternal bragging rights that they named my pet fish (or at least until he dies)!
  • The two runners-up will win a paperback copy of The Pet Washer (makes a great gift for a kid in your life!)
  • I will post the winning names on August 1, 2012 and the prizes will be sent out immediately. You must contact me if you won (unless you've left me some way to get a hold of you. You can email me privately via the email link on the right bar of this blog.)
  • You must play to win!
Fast facts about Betta's

Writer friends--you must get one! They are predators, so they are highly interactive. My fish watches me--seriously--he makes eye contact! They can breathe air a little bit so they don't need an air filtering tank.They are used to living in elephant footprints--so they think a fish bowl is the Taj Mahal (no cage-guilt!). They are affordable, they are beautiful, and they might even be inspiring! Don't be surprised if a Betta shows up in The Pet Washer series one day!

16 comments:

  1. Name for the fish: FANTASY
    Best wishes and happy birthday, Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great name, Ariane--I've added your entry to the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is beautiful, and since he is Siamese and a fighter, I think you should name him Chulalongkorn, after the young prince in the musical "The King and I." I know it's a long name, but such an impresive looking fish deserves an equally impressive name, and you can always call him Chula for short. Enjoy the rest of your birthday, and congrats on your success with "The Pet Washer."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, thanks for the entry and the well wishes!! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should name him Mo. For Mo Beta. And since he's your writing buddy, you can tell people that since you got him, you're writing's Mo Beta as well.

    You might just have inspired me to get a Mo of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your entry, EatStayPlay! Please post a photo if you get a fish--it does make writing Mo Beta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Backslash

    He's got your back while you're writing and won't hesitate to slash at you when you're slacking. Also, it's a key on your keyboard... that tool you use to produce all those awesome books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tyson

    (from Philippine Princess)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beta.

    For two reasons: 1) He's a Betta fish (obvious, I know, haha). 2) Since he's watching you write, he's going to be your first Beta reader on all your projects. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tyson, Beta, and Feisty Muse--I like!! Thanks for reading and you are entered in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd name him Charley Chan - Claire Passanisi

    ReplyDelete
  12. God leads us. God will do the right thing at the right time. And what a difference that makes. Flights to Manila
    Cheap Air Tickets to Manila

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.