Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 166--Interview with author Roma Sharma

Today I'm proud to introduce you to a non-fiction author, Roma Sharma. She wrote "60 Great Recipes for Your Baby."

Book description:
The book contains a set of 60 Indian Vegetarian recipes categorized based on the baby's age. It takes you through the stages of the baby's growth from 6 to 18 months. The recipes contain notes to help you get a good end result and nutritional value of the dish being prepared that will help you decide whats best for your baby.
The book also contains information on how to introduce solids to the baby - the age at which you can start nutritive food of the right texture for your baby. Tips have been provided on how to tackle a fussy eater and a baby who dislikes milk.

Jennifer: What inspired you to write a recipe book for baby food?
Roma: I have always found baby food to be a very confusing subject. Specially since what is medically recommended is sometimes so different from what is traditionally given to babies. When I had my first baby I remember constantly wondering about what to feed her. I wanted her to have a nutritive diet and at the same time something that she enjoys eating. The ingredients that are permitted for a baby between the age of 6 − 12 months are restricted. Its challenging to come up with dishes using these ingredients and whisk something that is also eventually eaten. Understanding the complexity of the equation I started documenting these recipes. When I found myself with a second baby, ready to be given solids, I thought of updating the document and also publishing it for all moms like me.

Jennifer: Do you include photos in your book?
Roma: Yes, almost all recipes have photographs. Baby food is usually mashed, pureed or powdered making it challenging to take interesting photographs. However, I have tried my best to create photographs that could increase the visual appeal of the book.

Jennifer: You write that you have tried these recipes on your own babies. How many children do you have?
Roma: I have two girls. One 5 years old and another almost two. The recipes in this book have been tried and tested on my babies. 

Jennifer: What research did you have to do to write this book?
Roma: I had discussions with my mother and grandmother on the food that they traditionally gave babies. I consulted my pediatrician at every stage of introducing a new ingredient to my baby. The entire book has been reviewed by a pediatrician. Besides this, I read articles on baby food and nutrition in magazines and websites.

Jennifer: On Amazon your book is for sale in digital format only--have you considered making your book available in print?
Roma: Yes, actually that is next on my list. I am currently formatting a paperback edition. I have printed a few hard copies which I am using currently to find a good distribution channel for the book.

Jennifer: What is your marketing plan for "60 Great Recipes for Your Baby"?
Roma: I have a few fellow food bloggers who have written reviews of the book. Besides that, I have friends who have helped me spread the word through Facebook, twitter and other social networking sites. I also have an ad on my home page which eventually draws maximum number of people to the eBook. 

Jennifer: Please list the links where you can be found on the internet: website, blog, Facebook, Twitter etc.

Roma: I have a Facebook page created for Indian Baby food recipes :
My Facebook personal Home page 
Twitter
My Website: 
http://romasharma.com/ 
eBook is available on :

Jennifer: Do you have plans to write any more books?
Roma: Yes, definitely. I want to write a book on designer treats for kids. Attractive food, that kids will love to eat as well.

Jennifer: What do you enjoy besides cooking?
Roma: I enjoy watching plays. I have attended a couple of theatre workshops. I love to play roles other than the one in real life. Besides that, photography has been my all-time-favorite hobby.

Roma is a software engineer by education and a chef by passion. After working for 6 years in the IT industry she turned a home maker. She loves experimenting with different types of cuisines. With two kids now she spends most of her time creating new dishes to excite them with. Besides cooking, she has hobbies like photography and blogging. 


Click image to purchase book!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share! I respond to all comments.